Sunday, December 24, 2017

A Christmas Eve 2

sorry for grammar mistakes.
enjoy!

A CHRISTMAS EVE: SMILE ON MY FACE
The first time I met him was on a Christmas Eve, seven years ago. It was my first year in New York as a university student. I was just finishing my paperwork and thinking I need some fresh air, so I went out of my small apartment. There was a park nearby, maybe I'll check it out, I thought.
And then I arrived on the park. There was a really beautiful Christmas tree in the middle of the park, lights around it lit up with different colors every second, and it was so pretty to look at. I stared at it, amazed, as the Christmas music playing from the Christmas tree. It was really Christmas.
That's when I saw him, his brown hair was a bit white from snow, staring at the tree without a smile.
At first, I was confused. Why would someone stare at this beautiful tree without a single smile in his face? Then I was intrigued by him. I really wanted to talk to him out of his despair state—yeah, I was just overthinking—but I was too shy. Why would I talk to a stranger? What if he don't appreciate it? Those were my thoughts.

 
However, I really wanted to at least look at him more closely, if there was any glint of smile on his lips. I know, maybe you think I was just making up reason. Yeah, I did.
So I walked up to him, but then... I fell face first on the snowy ground.
Yeah, laugh at me. I fell at the snow. I didn't know why I did. Maybe my boots were slipping or something. But I fell, and everybody around me laughed. A few come for help, but I didn't pay attention to them as I quickly walk away from the park, clearly embarrassed.
Well, that incident didn't stop me to come to the same park next year. I wasn't really thinking of anyone that time, really. I was just bored. It just so happened that he came to the same park and looks at the Christmas tree again. I remember looked at him as he did that, and find a small smile on his lips.
Seriously. Who would have thought he have such a beautiful smile? A really sweet smile, the one which made me really want to go to the nearest store to buy some sweet Christmas treats.
I wonder why he didn't smile last year, I thought to myself. But I didn't do anything. Next thing I know, I stared at him the whole night until Christmas. Well not literally staring. Some just include me glanced him, not so clearly. I hoped so, at least.
Since then, I realized I probably like him, but then I was too shy, so I let it be hoping one day the feeling would sink away.
Then the next year, and the next year, and the next year, I was always coming back to the same park every Christmas Eve. He did, too. My feeling didn't sink away. It blossoms, deeply.
Well yeah, three years ago I did get caught staring at him, making me not coming to the park the year after, but that's another story. But really, this place, this Christmas tree, is the only place I've been in the past Christmas Eves.
So it just makes sense that I'm coming back to the same place today.
I sit on one of the bench under the Christmas tree. He promised me he will be here at seven, I think to myself. I check my phone once again. Nothing from him. I exhale. The cold begins to get to me, but I try to keep myself warm by rubbing my gloved hands.
Seriously, this tree is always beautiful. Like it never changes. It always play the familiar Christmas songs, with familiar lamps around it lit up every per second.
"Sorry I'm late."
I turn my head towards his voice. "No, no, it's okay, I've just arrived like, five minutes ago."
He smiles at me. My favorite smile. "Well, then, do you want to get some hot chocolate first?"
Last year he asked me that too, which results us exchanging our number. Yeah, turns out it wasn't a dream. Then, you know, we were involved in something serious for a few months until we decided to break up. I still like him, though. I've been liking him for seven years, why would you think the feeling will disappear? We broke up because we were too busy with our jobs, anyway. But even we've broken up, it was still like our tradition to meet under the grand Christmas tree on the center of this park.
We buy two cups of hot chocolate from the shop nearby, then get back under the Christmas tree. We sit on the same bench as last year. "So, is life okay?" I ask.
He laughs. My favorite laugh. "Yeah, it's okay. Not complete without you, though."
Yeah, his words still have the same effect on me. My heart rate quickens for sure. "Same."
He looks at me again, smiles, and then looks at the Christmas tree. "Still as beautiful as ever, huh?"
I smile, looking at the tree as well. "Yeah," I say.
He suddenly took my right hand and put something into it. My heart almost stops for a second at his touch. My eyes then look into whatever he had just put into my hand. "What is this?" I say as I look at it. A necklace, with a Christmas tree as the pendant. A really familiar Christmas tree. Oh, it is a perfect miniature of the grand Christmas tree in front of me. "Wow," I look at it closely, amazed.
"You like it?" He asks me.
I nod happily and smile at him. "Of course," I touch the tree pendant. It is so smooth.
"Do you want to wear it?"
This time I laugh. "Well, surely!"
He laughs along with me. "By that, I mean, do you want me to help you wearing it? Like in those movies."
"We're not in the movies," I still laugh a bit, "but okay." I give him the necklace and turn around, my back to him. He begin to lower the necklace in front of me, and then accidentally touch my neck when he is going to hook the back of the necklace.
My breath hitches at his touch. Really. He still affect me the same way after this whole year. I know he smiles at me right now, but continues to put the necklace on me. "There," he says, I can feel his smile.
I turn around to him. "Wow," I say, adoring the way the tree pendant fall on my chest. It's like the perfect miniature of a tree I've always been going annually. Well yeah, it is. "Where did you get this?"
"I ask a few friends to make it look just like this Christmas tree," he smiles. "Now you're even more beautiful."
I know I'm blushing, which is why I try to hide it. "Thank you. Thank you very much."
He laugh. "Don't mention it."
Silence. But it's not an uncomfortable silence. It's the kind of peaceful silent, with the Christmas music playing and people's voices. I like it, especially with his presence beside me.
"You know, I don't really like Christmas trees when I first came here." He says. I widen my eyes. Oh, is he going to tell me about the first time I saw him?
"Why?" I ask him. "Isn't it beautiful?" I wonder as I look again at the Christmas tree. No matter how I look at it, it is never ugly.
He smiles, looking at the tree. "Not specifically the Christmas tree, though. I didn't like Christmas in general. My sister died on Christmas Eve."
"Oh," I purse my lips. I don't expect that. Neither that I know he had a sister. "I'm sorry."
He shakes his head, still smiling. This time ever more sweetly. "One Christmas Eve, I was looking at the tree. Then some girl nearby fell on the snow. When I tried to help her, she didn't even acknowledge me and just walked away. She's been in my head ever since."
So, he saw me the same night I saw him? That embarrassing night? Oh God. I know I'm blushing. This is so embarrassing. So he actually know I was there...
"The following year, I came to the park in hope that she would be there. Well, she did, so I was smiling the whole time at the Christmas tree because I was so happy. Next time I know, it was Christmas and I can't find her anywhere. I kind of regretting it because I was wasting my time."
I laugh. "Wow, can't believe it," I say.
"And the following years, I'd always stared at her without really attempted to talk to her. I wanted to, really, but I thought I was fine without doing anything until one day she caught me staring at her."
I still laugh as I shake my head. I'm still blushing. Still so embarrassing after a few years.
"I was going to talk to her then, but she quickly walked away from me and vanished in the crowd. I can't find her, so I gave up thinking that she would came the following year. She didn't. I was kind of disappointed and wondered why I didn't start talking to her sooner, hoping for next year."
I smile at that. I was so embarrassed that I got caught staring at him, actually, that's why I walked away.
"Well, she came, and I was so happy when I saw her, so I walked to her and talked to her. I thought I was creeping her out when she wanted to walk away, but I held her from leaving anyway. Then I said everything I've always been wanting to say. You know, she is not creeped out, she said that she did stare at me too." He laughs. "After the night I've never stopped smiling, even in my sleep and even dreamed about her." He turns his head to me, smiling. "You know who is she, right?"
I stifle a laugh. "Yeah. Me?"
He smiles as he nods. "You are my reason to smile." He leans in to me and I close my eyes.
Under the beautiful Christmas tree, he kisses me.
Merry Christmas to you! :)
this is a Christmas short story. thank you for reading!


------additional scene------
I'm in shock. Okay. Okay, I'll admit. This is my first kiss. Yes, he has never kissed me before. A small touch can make me feel thousands of volt jolted through my body until my heart feels like it has stopped, let alone a kiss?
I freeze, like the snow. I don't know what to do. What to do? What? What should I do?
Then he lets go of the kiss and laughs. "You know, you were supposed to return my kiss, not just being frozen like that."
I exhale with a smile. "You should know, I'm inexperienced."
He quirks his eyebrow. "Want me to make you experienced, then?"
I laugh. "If you can," I say.
"Oh, you know I can," he smiles teasingly before leaning in and kisses me.
I can hear the Christmas songs and people around us, but I could care less.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a trace if you want!